Wednesday 7 September 2011

Decision Made - AAAHHHH

Weds. 7th Sept.2011 and the decision has been made. I have tonight registered to cycle across America and if accepted will leave early next Spring. I have spent the last 6 months researching 'Cycling Across America'. I would really like to do it on my own but even I accept it might not be the most sensible thing to do - although many women do it alone every year.  The many tour companies I looked at were America By Bike, Cycle America, Women Tours, Bicycle Adventure Club but ruled them out as they were mostly high mileage or not touring in 2012. I have eventually settled on my first choice of ' Adventure Cycling Association, USA' - I liked their ethos of ,it was more about the journey than just getting from A to B also they only have places for 13 cyclists and your application has to be approved. Some companies can have over 50 travelling at any one time.  The down side is it is not Hotel based so I will be camping and taking my turn in cooking. I would have preferred to snuggle down in a B&B every night but time will tell how I will cope with being in a tent for 8 weeks.  Yes, 8 weeks is how long I will be away. The route is described as the Southern Tier and takes me from San Diego, California to St.Augustine, Florida. We travel through Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Lousiana along the southern states.  The trip is 3160 miles and we travel an average of 68 mpday. There are two tour leaders with a van who carry our luggage etc and provide back up. There will be 47 days riding and 11 rest days - oh my bum will be sore.

The following is part of an e mail I received from the Tour Director of ACA - it convinced me I was choosing the right company  - ' You will love the southern tier as the terrain and vegetation changes almost daily, temps are warm but not unbearable in the spring, nights are cool, and there are lots of different tastes to sample. I always advise for participants to not be afraid to explore the areas you are in and not specifically be focused only on the riding.'

So now it is a winter of training.  At the moment I am doing 75 miles per week but will need to do at least double that.  Hope for good weather with little snow and tail winds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.